PagerDuty Alert Notifications
Use Mux Data Alerts with PagerDuty to alert your team about open incidents.
In this guide:
Alerts can be defined by specified thresholds or based on levels dynamically defined by machine learned anomaly detection.
Video metrics that cause the creation of a new incident in Mux Data will also send a trigger event to PagerDuty which generates a new incident in the configured service or event ruleset.
When an alert incident is resolved in Mux Data, a resolve event is sent to PagerDuty and the associated PagerDuty incident will be closed.
There are two ways to integrate with PagerDuty: via Global Event Routing or on a PagerDuty Service.
If you are adding this integration to an existing PagerDuty service, please skip to the Integrating with a PagerDuty Service section of this guide.
Integrating with Global Event Routing enables you to route events to specific services based on the payload of the event from your tool. If you would like to learn more, please visit the PagerDuty article on Global Event Routing.
From the Configuration menu, select Event Rules.
On the Event Rules screen, click on the arrow next to Incoming Event Source to display the Integration key information. Copy your Integration Key. This is the same integration key you will use for any other tool you want to integrate with using event rules. When you have finished setting up the integration in your tool, you will return to this interface to specify how to route events from your tool to services in PagerDuty.
- From the Configuration menu, select Services.
- There are two ways to add an integration to a service:
- If you are adding your integration to an existing service: Click the name of the service you want to add the integration to. Then, select the Integrations tab and click the New Integration button.
- If you are creating a new service for your integration: Please read our documentation in section Configuring Services and Integrations and follow the steps outlined in the Create a New Service section, selecting Mux Data as the Integration Type in step 4. Continue with the In Mux Data section (below) once you have finished these steps.
- Enter an Integration Name in the format
monitoring-tool-service-name(e.g. Mux Data-Production) and select Mux Data from the Integration Type menu.
- Click the Add Integration button to save your new integration. You will be redirected to the Integrations tab for your service.
- An Integration Key will be generated on this screen. Keep this key saved in a safe place, as it will be used when you configure the integration with Mux Data in the next section.
From the navigation menu, choose Alerts.
Click on the Notification Channels tab to display the alert notification methods, called Notification Channels.
Click on the Add Channel button to create a new notifcation channel that sends alerts to PagerDuty.
In the New Channel dialog, for the Service choose
PagerDuty, enter the Integration Key for the Service or Event Rule from the steps above, and choose which types of Mux Data alerts you would like sent to PagerDuty.
Anomalywill send all automatically generated Anomaly alerts to the PagerDuty service,
Thresholdwill send the notifications generated by the alerts you explicitly configure, and
Allwill send all alert notifications generated in Mux Data to PagerDuty.
- Click Add Channel to create the notification channel for PagerDuty.
To stop notifying PagerDuty of alert incidents, delete the PagerDuty Notification Channel in Mux Data.
- From the Alerts Notification Channels tab, scroll to the PagerDuty channel you would like to delete. Click the garbage can icon to delete the channel.
To send alert notifications to multiple services or event rules, you can create more than one PagerDuty Notification Channel in Mux Data. Each PagerDuty Notification Channel in Mux Data can be set with the Integration Key from the desired service or event rule that should be notified when an alert is trigger or resolved.
- Mux Data integrations require access to Anomaly or Threshold Alerts. If you do not have access to this feature, please contact Mux for more information.
If you need help with this integration or information about Mux, please contact: